New Primaris Marines vs Older models

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

New Primaris Marines vs Older models

Post by porkuslime »

So.. scale issues are bugging me.

I have a complete older edition marine army or 2, and I sure feel that I CANNOT add to it anymore with any of the new models.. MAYBE vehicles, but troops will not be compatible at all.

Likewise.. trying to convert older models to match INTO a Primaris force would be a pain as well.

Has anyone tried to use the 2 togeather, or is it REALLY coming down to one size or the other..

Heck, is GW even MAKING non-Primaris sized models anymore?
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Re: New Primaris Marines vs Older models

Post by 3eland »

GW states they are not phasing out normal Marines but let's be honest here. It's totally going to happen.
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Yeah, I'm sticking with older minis because I don't want to buy into their forced new scale (and horribly expensive characters). It's a shame, since I think they've made some very nice minis, but I think the scale thing just sucks, and at least it's kind to my wallet. I might get the new heavy dudes since I think they're nicer than centurions for reinforced power armor, but that's probably it.

And yeah, I'd be surprised if GW made more regular marines than an occasional character or upgrade sprue now. Most of the line looks good enough that it'll last them a long time.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

porkuslime wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:00 pm
So.. scale issues are bugging me.

I have a complete older edition marine army or 2, and I sure feel that I CANNOT add to it anymore with any of the new models.. MAYBE vehicles, but troops will not be compatible at all.

Likewise.. trying to convert older models to match INTO a Primaris force would be a pain as well.

Has anyone tried to use the 2 togeather, or is it REALLY coming down to one size or the other..

Heck, is GW even MAKING non-Primaris sized models anymore?
Primaris marines are totally separate models/rules than normal marines, the scale difference is intentional. You don't need to change your old marines to make them primaris size.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
porkuslime ( 3094 )
Gentleman Sadist

Post by porkuslime »

What about the new Death Guard then? They are not Primaris but are huge anyhow compared to old metals
2+2=5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

If you don't have your Location listed in your User Control Panel, why not take a second and update it? It will let your trading partners know where you are from the beginning.

I use the Unofficial Porkuslime Trading Guidelines - if you have way less refs.. you ship first.

Folks I am awaiting a ref from.. Zack

USPS Mail Fraud
FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center

http://www.40korigins.com - Bringing 40k events to the Origins Game Fair!
spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Re: primaris being a new scale, I feel like it could have been salvaged so they had a fluff reason for it, but honestly I don't like that the new marines make my current ones look derpy and small by comparison. I'm not sure what would have constituted an elegant solution to truescale by GW, but this makes me want to actively not collect the new line, in comparison with every preceding marine line that has made me interested because I have more kitbashing fodder across the generations (I've even selectively incorporated RT in my army and they look fine, as opposed to the current ones being a head taller)

And yeah, the GD do create confusion already...
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

I used 2 DI Marines with pre DI Marine weapons.

1 was the 2 handed TH from the DW kit. I made him because of the movie Troy and this guy:
ajax2.jpg
I have REMs in his shoulder joints and on his back. I am able to swap out the TH and run any weapons I want once I make them. The thunder hammer was a bit wider than the Primaris body which I thought was odd. I have the REM on his back for when I find a jump pack I like. At this time however, I will only be running normal pre DI weapons on him as I will be base coating him my normal dark green DA colors so he blends in paint wise just stands taller than the rest. He stands on a 25mm base.

The other guy is going to be a counts as Primaris Hellblasters with a heavy plasma incinerator. I ran more REMs and he can either carry his Primaris plasma gun or a plasma cannon ‘counts as’ a heavy plasma incinerator. Im yet however, too see the rules for this weapon as Im a DA player but I do not see an issue with my local gaming group as I will base coat him a light shade of green than my pre DI collection of DA. Assault plasma incinerator.....Well Im yet to figure that gun out.

I will post pictures of my work later.

Jason
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

If/when I play my SM army... I'm just going to say, "these guys are Dwarf Primaris Marines. They're a successor chapter of regular [insert chapter] Primaris marines."

LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”