Rules for AoS terrain in 40K suggestions?

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Rules for AoS terrain in 40K suggestions?

Post by MagickalMemories »

So, I looked at the free pdf for the Age of Sigmar terrain (Link: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources ... ery-en.pdf. I don't play AoS, so didn't totally 'get' a lot of the special rules. Some of the terrain pieces, however, seem like they could be very interesting in a 40k game, if adapted to that rule set.

Anyone with experience in both games have any suggestions?

As the AoS terrain rules are freely available, I'm hereby giving permission for the rules to be posted, verbatim, in this thread.

I'll start with a suggestion (feel free to alter, as you may see fit). If you choose to provide your own suggestion, I'd appreciate it if the format below were retained, to make it easier for everyone to read:

ARCANE RUINS (AoS Rules)
Description
Arcane Ruins consist of an obelisk-topped plinth and several stone pillars. Together, these count as a single terrain feature.
These ancient ruins are imbued with powerful sorceries that absorb magic out of the air itself. These energies can be harnessed by a nearby wizard, or used to summon the spirits of long-dead warriors.

Scenery Rules
The following rules are used for this scenery (do not roll on the Scenery Table on the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules sheet).

ARCANE:
Add 1 to the result of any casting or unbinding rolls made for a Wizard within 3" of Arcane Ruins.

ABSORB MAGIC:
Roll a dice each time a unit within 3" of an Arcane Ruin suffers a wound or a mortal wound caused by a spell. On a 5 or a 6, the magical energy is absorbed by the Arcane Ruins and that wound is ignored.

FELL SUMMONS:
Wizards know the Summon Doomed Spirits spell, in addition to any other spells that they know, while they are within 10" of any Arcane Ruins.

Summon Doomed Spirits:
Summon Doomed Spirits has a casting value of 7. If successfully cast, the wizard captures the tormented spirits of warriors slain at the ruin and binds them to his will. A Spirit Host consisting of up to 3 models is added to your army as a new unit. Set up this unit within 5" of the Arcane Ruins and more than 3" away from the enemy. This is the unit’s move for that turn.

ARCANE RUINS (40K Rules)
Description
Arcane Ruins consist of an obelisk-topped plinth and several stone pillars. Together, these count as a single terrain feature.
These ancient ruins are imbued with powerful sorceries that absorb magic out of the air itself. These energies can be harnessed by a nearby psyker, or used to summon the spirits of long-dead warriors.

Scenery Rules
The following rules are used for this scenery.

PSYCHIC:
You may add 1 die to the roll of any single psychic test made for any Psyker within 3" of Arcane Ruins. The total number of dice rolled must be higher than the Warp Charges needed for the psychic power. No Psyker may use this ability in the same Psychic Phase that he used the "Summon Doomed Spirits" power below.

ABSORB MAGIC:
After any Deny the Witch roll is made and the Psychic power is resolved, roll a single die each time a unit within 1" of an Arcane Ruin suffers one or more wounds caused by a psychic power, per wound suffered. On a 6, the magical energy is absorbed by the Arcane Ruins and that wound is ignored.

FELL SUMMONS:
Psykers know the Summon Doomed Spirits spell, in addition to any other spells that they know, while they are within 3" of any Arcane Ruins.

Summon Doomed Spirits:
<<Insert appropriate power here. Malefic Summoning with no possibility of Perils, except on double sixes? Something else? An adaptation of the spell above?>>
No Psyker may use this power in the same Psychic Phase that he benefited from the "PSYCHIC" rule above.

I don’t have my rule book with me, so I don’t really have any way of looking up Malefic Summoning and can’t look to see how a Spirit Host might be adapted to 40K.
I think it would be good NOT to use it for Malefic summoning, as I wouldn't want to see it used to start a Tzeentch Daemon Bomb army.
Anyone have adaptation suggestions for the above?
Want to suggest your own?

Let's have some fun with this!

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Re: Rules for AoS terrain in 40K suggestions?

Post by NuWishA »

Psykers: One Pysker model or unit may tap into the powers of the Ruins. When doing so, that unit may count their mastery level as one higher than normal.

Absorb Magic: Any power successfully cast by a model in the ruins, or targeting a model in the ruins, is negated on a 6+

Summon Doomed Spirits: If a unit has tapped into the powers of the ruins (See above), it may summon a doomed spirit into play. This counts as a warp charge two spell and creates a Chaos Spawn model that is in control of the player whose psyker summoned it. The spawn has no marks, but does have the daemon special rule. This power can only be cast once per psychic phase per player. Repeated castings will create a separate model.

What do you think about that? Thats the closest thing I can think of for a spirit host, plus it is pretty random and you could use whatever 40mm base thing to represent it.
gardenninja ( 34 )
Resident Trader

Re: Rules for AoS terrain in 40K suggestions?

Post by gardenninja »

That's a neat idea. The terrain rules are some of the most interesting things in AOS.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”