Bringing a gargantuan to a game

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Bringing a gargantuan to a game

Post by 3eland »

So Gargantuans are easily accessible in every army (or a super-heavy equivalent).

I like to field large models (and in most cases are gargantuan or super-heavy) . I pay good money for them (and take a lot of time in building and painting them) and every army can take one so why not? But when is it fair to field them?

I can understand at low points it would be unfair. Like taking a Wraithknight at 1000-1250 points.

Does your gaming group put in a restriction for said slot (seeing how they are all LoW)? Horus Heresy has a restriction in place but I have never seen on for 40k.

What do people think? When do you think is an appropriate time to bring a Gargantuan/Super-Heavy?
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Re: Bringing a gargantuan to a game

Post by pretre »

Most folks I play with use ITC list formation, so one GC or LOW isn't usually a problem.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I think taking a gargantuan or ANYTHING with a D weapon is a bit of a d*ck move without giving your opponent fair warning, unless that's part of your group's established agreement.
I game in a group of 4 to 5 regulars. I have two standing PERSONAL rules...
1) If you play an Eldar Wraith army, congratulations. You win. I'm not even putting down my models.
2) If you play anything with a D weapon and don't warn me in advance, I may very well bow out and, even if I don't, do not expect me to enjoy the game.

My personal opinion is that D weapons are ONE OF the main things ruining 40K. I hate them and almost never use them. Yes, if you're reading this and thinking I sound a little pissy... you're right. I DO get pissy about D weapons.

Eric

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

I agree Eric. Communication is key when bringing a Gargantuan/Super-Heavy. Otherwise your opponent might show up with nothing that can hurt it.

We have a guy that has a Wraith army. He destroyed my Templars in two different games. Luckily my Sisters were able to take care of him by focusing everything on his Knight. By the time the mini-wraiths got across the board I had taken it down. But it was still pretty tough (especially with toe cover saves and it being a jumper).

Agreed on the D. Played a game with a Spartan, I had my HQ inside (Chappy in termie armour) with a fully loaded Crusader Squad (so not exactly a deathstar). First turn Strength D blew it up. 295 points, AV14 box with 5 HP and it didn't even get a chance to move lol. Second turn blew up a normal Land Raider (at least this one was able to move and shoot once).

Then I had to foot slog it across the battlefield while getting hit by Strength D flamers and shots.
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

However flavorful mini-D flamers might be as mechanically representing the power... those should never be in the game. I have no idea how infantry got that sort of power (well, I guess I do, but still think it's absurd).

However, IDK, how do people feel about D superheavies if both sides have one? I mean, isn't D basically the evolution of anti-titan weapons?
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

D I believe is the anti death star.

Bring a death star? Throw them the d!

You dont see many death stars now since sD shows up often. But at the same time it means that one side is usually more potent than the other.

In public games (so non friendly), you pretty much have to build a list with sD in mind.
~Ryan~

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

One of my buddies took an army with 2 WKnights in it. For the heck of it, I built a Daemonkin list with Angr'rath (or whatever) in it to counter it.
Ol Angie took a (lucky, I admit) wound from a Scatter laser, 3 wounds (saved 3 of the 6) from a Wraithcannon that rolled in the 2-5 range on the D chart, then... 12(?) more from the second Cannon (whatever maximum is) when it rolled a 6 on the D chart.
That was turn 1. He never got to move.

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

That was from ONE Wraithknight.

Eric

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Yeah I've seen that happen. When we play Apoc games we make sure we let each other know what is being brought.

The last game we played was 10,500 CSM/Daemons (me) vs 5,250 Eldar and 5,250 Space marines (mix of every chapter).

The Eldar player brought two Wraithknights and the Eldar Tank with the D cannons. Then the D artillery.

At the end of turn three they had 21 (ish) points to my 10 or something. The Eldar player scored 18-19 of said points. 15 -16 of those from the Wraithknights and tank/artillery.

He didn't even go full Wraith either. I don't think I would have survived two round if he had the mini-wraiths.

I went toe to toe with a melee knight once with Zarakynel (Slaanesh Exalted Daemon) and she wiped it off the board before it could attack back. Rerolling to hit and wound with high init/ws and all attacks instant death helped. I would not have survived the Strength D back I do not think.

If they changed the D chart (I know, again since it has already been changed) and allowed invul saves vs 6 I think it wouldn't be so powerful. D6+6 wounds with no save at all is enough to kill anything!

My thought is the shot/attack/whatever must be pretty explosive to be able to shatter through the defense of an invul shield summoned from the warp (or wherever it is summoned from). Crazy.
~Ryan~

spiralingcadaver ( 456 )
Millenium Trader

Post by spiralingcadaver »

Yeah... the D table seems kinda' out of control. 1 in 6 chance that instead of super-killing something, you super-mega-kill it?

IDK, maybe it's to make it so titans can be killed over the course of a regular game? Then again, the warlord looks like there's not really much to be done about that volume of HP.
True, we love life, not because we are used to living but because we are used to loving. There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.
-Nietzsche

I expect honesty about models' conditions, thank you.

If I don't respond in a day or two, please check back, I've forgotten-sorry.
3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

Well I can see it against say a Reaver Titan. I have a Reaver Titan. A Nurgle one (and yes I will admit that thing is stupid tough).

18 HP with a 5+ cover save (shrouded) in the open? Tough to beat. The 4 void shields are 4 "hull points" that can come back. So throwing a sD at them (after the void shields are down otherwise that would be pointless) can really help take it down. 7-12 HP on a 6, still means 2 lucky 6's needed.

Big things yes. Small things? Way overkill.
~Ryan~

NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

You also have a one in six chance of super not even scratching its paint.. Which is kind of funny (as it is what I usually roll with my Iyanden)

Then again, I only have an Iyanden army for eldar, I don't have any stupid guardians at all. So the only way I can play without unbound is just wraith host formations.. lol
themailedfist ( 210 )
Resident Trader
Location: Ellicott City, MD USA Planet Earth Sol System Milky Way Known Universe

Post by themailedfist »

I remember how irate people were about flyers at the start of 6th edition (largely the Helldrake). The proliferation of D-Weapons and superheavies is MUCH worse for the game, in my opinion. I've played 3 games now against a Knight Titan in 1500 points. I've killed in one of the three games - the other two, I've gotten it down to a single hull point.

It drives me nuts that there's no degradation of the thing - it's either fine or it's blowing up massively. (And in the game where I HAVE killed it, the Superheavy Explosion chart screwed me more than the Knight had all game)

I've also banned the Wraithknight from my home. It's not even remotely fun to play against, and after six games of it nearly single-handedly wrecking my army, I dropped the banhammer.

--Robert

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”