Starting questions about Warhammer 40k

Discussion area for all futuristic GW games.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Starting questions about Warhammer 40k

Post by kturock »

umm.. if it's not the same as the pic on GW's site, its not current.
If it's not a hard back book, it's not current.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
Grumiuk ( 50 )
BTown Regular

Post by Grumiuk »

The best place to start is by finding people to play the game with. They can help you with picking an army to play, and can also help with just any type of purchases in general. I see that you are from Ohio which side are you on the east or west side?
Daverage007 ( 62 )
BTown Regular

Post by Daverage007 »

DO NOT LINK TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL

A link to what looked like the 6th edition PDF... Tau are very cool and I have always kinda wanted to try them however if still consider getting your 7th ed codex before you get to glueing(for purposes of knowing what's legal now considering how much squad sizes and equipment have changed) watching matches and battle reports is a great place to start I watched a lot of mini wargaming videos for Orcs she I finally decided what I was going to play... Hope it helps
JohnBlackhawk ( 14 )
BTown Regular

Post by JohnBlackhawk »

@Grumiuk i'm on SW side of ohio
@Daverage007 Thanks for the link this will help me to start learning the mechanics of army building.
NuWishA ( 60 )
Deputy Pants

Post by NuWishA »

Dave, don't link to copyrighted material. It doesn't matter if it isn't current (and the Tau codex from 6th IS the current codex), it is still under copyright.
"Don't put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby!"
Grumiuk ( 50 )
BTown Regular

Post by Grumiuk »

If you were on the East side that would have been good. There is a group of us that gets together once a month and plays.
nightlord ( 228 )
Expert Trader

Post by nightlord »

Here's a good way to go about it with out spending a ton of money. Go to the Games workshop site and look around. Get list of armies you are interested in then google them. You find tons of fluff about different armies on the net.

Or go on ebay and buy ya self the newest edition of rules set. its 3 books in one sleeve . The GW site sells them for 85.00 , you can get this on ebay for 60-65 on ebay.

First book is of course the rules book that you will need to play the game, another book is about all the differnet armies in the 40K universe. and the third book has more fluff.

I've played the game since the begining and I still bought this book set for my self. Its real cool. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Have fun and GAME ON!!!
"I'm Glad I Stopped Before I Thought About It"

I will not make "OFFERS" for your stuff. I never bet against the house.

People that owe me references, davidmournestar,

:-? :-? If you wasent interested then why did you look?? :-? :-?

ANYONE can click on your name and see the last time you was on site. BRA.

Be polite. Respond to read messages in a timely manner.
leth ( 352 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by leth »

Instead of the Hardback book, look for the mini-rule book for 40k. It will tend to be a lot cheaper, around the 30 dollar range or less.

Second go to their website and find the army that has models that you like. If you dont like the models, it is not going to last. The painting, building, and other such things is a full half of the hobby.

Once you find that out, talk to people online and get their suggestions for units to use. Only at this point would I look into getting the codex and the rules.

There will be certain core units that you will reliably find a use for. So look into which ones you like and then either get them second hand or new. Then just proxy before you buy more(recommend at this point supporting your local game store). Or better yet see if someone will let you use the models and walk you through a few learner games. See if you like it and decide to invest more. This is the best way I have found to keep overall investment low before

Also determine if you want to be a tournament player, a more casual player and the like. That will impact what units you want to use.
USA

My prices/trades are just estimates, I do not know the going rate. If you want to know sooner, send me a offer.

Just started my painting blog. To keep myself painting mostly
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

GW is now selling the hardback rule book by itself, without the fluff or art books.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

leth wrote: The painting, building, and other such things is a full half of the hobby.
Respectfully, the above is OPINION and not FACT.
Myself, the hobby is 100% about getting together with friends, throwing dice and moving my mandollies across the table. If I had the money to do so, i would ONLY buy models that were already assembled and painted. Rarely ever would I assemble something; that would only be if I was converting it. Even rarer would be picking up a paint brush.

You might even be one of those people who likes to play but HATES the modeling and painting aspect of it. If so, you can STILL enjoy the game.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

I like collecting and building.. I really don't like painting..
Gaming and getting together with friends or lke minded individuals, and showing off my new toys, is up on the top of the list.

also, I like turtles. ;-)

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

kturock wrote: I really don't like painting...
One would never know by simply perusing the Painting Challenge thread! LOL

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

MagickalMemories wrote:
kturock wrote: I really don't like painting...
One would never know by simply perusing the Painting Challenge thread! LOL

Eric
I'm getting over my "it must be painted before it's fielded'. Also, where I play isn't as strict about having everything painted, before it's played.

Return to “Grimdark Futuristic”