BTR Redemtion086

These BTR's have not yet been resolved. Be wary of anyone listed here.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: BTR Redemtion086

Post by MagickalMemories »

This is worth reposting...

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
scud1703 ( 108 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by scud1703 »

Everyone who is trying to get their stuff back please read the email below, and start getting picutres and dollar amounts of everything. Im not sure if Det. Curtis needs a total or a break down for each item or both. As soon as i hear more i'll post it here.

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:34 AM
To: Bauer, Austin
Subject:

Austin,

Can you give me a dollar amount on your loss? I contacted Colony PD Detective Murray and have not heard back. Also, how do you want to go about claiming your property once we get to that point? Photos of property usually work, but seeing I have so much stuff here maybe there is someone here in CT that is also an enthusiast that may be interested in taking the property. Let me know what you think.

James Curtis, Detective
Polygraph Unit
City of Norwich, CT Police Department
70 Thames Street, Norwich, CT
Lower Rating You Ship First

Burn me once shame on thee
Burn me again shame on me
scud1703 ( 108 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by scud1703 »

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:27 AM
Subject: RE:

Yes I did catch him and he admitted to me what he was doing. The best route would be a larceny charge which is a misdemeanor. It would be more difficult to prove intent on issues with mail fraud because the postal inspectors would need to get involved. Unfortunately once the property has been recovered and the suspect identified assisting agencies loose interest. I also received a call from Jason (Bartertown member)- [Admin edit] who is local here in CT and would be willing to take the property in order to return it to its rightful owner. That will be several weeks down the road and I will let you know.

I have asked Det. Curtis to procede with the larceny charges, its much smalled then the fellony we had hoped for but hey its something.

Thank you

austin bauer

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock »

scud1703 wrote:From: James Curtis [mailto:jcurtis@cityofnorwich.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:27 AM

Yes I did catch him and he admitted to me what he was doing. The best route would be a larceny charge which is a misdemeanor. It would be more difficult to prove intent on issues with mail fraud because the postal inspectors would need to get involved. Unfortunately once the property has been recovered and the suspect identified assisting agencies loose interest. I also received a call from Jason (Bartertown member)- [Admin edit] who is local here in CT and would be willing to take the property in order to return it to its rightful owner. That will be several weeks down the road and I will let you know.

I have asked Det. Curtis to procede with the larceny charges, its much smalled then the fellony we had hoped for but hey its something.

Thank you

austin bauer

question and hope not to be off topic or thread jacking, but..

how is it not better to file with the postal inspectors also, since he has perpatrated this fraud multiple times? That shows intent and mail fraud is a FELONY vs larceny which is only a MISDEMEANOR.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

I don't think that's an inappropriate question at all, but I do think it should be rhetorical. A BTR shouldn't devolve into an in-depth discussion about tangential things.
That said, I think it could be an excellent discussion topic in the Discussion forums, if anyone wanted to start one.

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
scud1703 ( 108 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by scud1703 »

An update on the part of the post office. Det. Murray here in The Colony, TX sent the report to the Post Master General as well. I'm not sure who i would need to contact on that front. I'll look into and post what i find.

kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

postal inspectors.. see my sig line.
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
scud1703 ( 108 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by scud1703 »

Austin,

All the property is ready to be released back to you, however; the boxes are full of stuff and I want to make sure you get back what is yours. I received a phone call from some guy who says he lives a little closer than Texas, somewhere here in CT, and he would be willing to take the property and get it back to everyone affected. I guess there would be two options: 1. Do my best and go through everything and match it up to your inventory and ship it back to you or; 2. Allow this “volunteer” to come here and take the property and return it to everyone. Let me know what you think. If you choose the later, I can e-mail you a release form which you can sign and e-mail back.

On a side note: if you have time and would be willing to do so, a letter to the Norwich, CT City Manager describing your experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James Curtis, Detective

Polygraph Unit

City of Norwich, CT Police Department

70 Thames Street, Norwich, CT

scud1703 ( 108 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by scud1703 »

it appears most, if not all items have been recoverd and he is going to jail or at least being arrested by the end of the week. You can move this to resolved if you all would like. Thank you to the B-Town community.

Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 8:54 AM

I was looking to do this in one shot. I have been working on a couple homicides, a shooting and a separate death investigation so I’m looking to stream line the process if that is ok. If you do not feel comfortable with that let me know and we can work something out. You are the only complainant as you are the only one that ensured I got a police report. The arrest warrant has already been submitted to court and the suspect about sh*t himself when we approached him so I think we accomplished what we set out to do. As soon as the warrant is returned from court he will be arrested, hopefully by the end of the week.

pretre ( 1340 )
Millenium Trader

Post by pretre »

Make sure to write that letter to the City Manager detailing what a great job Curtis did. Most of the stories of this kind of stuff that I hear end up with some uncaring responses and that guy has been great.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

And if you would have sent all of it to the postal inspectors, he'd also faced with a $5000 fine per theft and 5 years in a FEDERAL prison. So, if I count correctly, 4 thefts, so, $20k in fines and 20 years in jail.
Or a couple monthes in a local jail and maybe $2k in fines.

3eland ( 76 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland »

kturock wrote:And if you would have sent all of it to the postal inspectors, he'd also faced with a $5000 fine per theft and 5 years in a FEDERAL prison. So, if I count correctly, 4 thefts, so, $20k in fines and 20 years in jail.
Or a couple monthes in a local jail and maybe $2k in fines.
He also ripped about 10 people off on Dakka Dakka so add another 10 accounts ;)
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

Which is why I said to get the feds, the postal inspectors, involved. They are the FBI of the mail. Same powers.

Imaginos ( 470 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Imaginos »

Kudos to scud1703 for following up on this. I admit, I slacked off after my money was returned by Paypal. To be honest, I didn't know if it would still count as a crime since my money was recovered and returned.
kturock ( 590 )

Post by kturock »

only way to find is is ask. Numbers in my sig. Paypal payed you back, was it from the thief or their account?

Return to “Unresolved Bad Trader Reports”