Bartertown is (isn't?) shutting down next month - details inside.

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

kturock ( 590 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Re: Bartertown is shutting down next month - details inside.

Post by kturock »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:53 am
I'm just saying, guys... any of you who were concerned about BT closing... you can always join BT+ (or just donate via PayPal) to help us keep the doors open.
We just skim by every year, which makes it difficult to keep up with the newest software, necessary drive space, etc.

Eric
and don't forget all the high dollar avatars the admins use. ;-)
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777
ryno ( 68 )
Journeyman Trader

Post by ryno »

....dang it, fell for it too!!
Newlife99 ( 64 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by Newlife99 »

Just left you a $50 spot....

Keep up the good work...and please don't shut down...

I can volunteer...
gwaddict ( 664 )
Bartertown Plus Member

Post by gwaddict »

And where can we send a paypal donation?

*edit* nvm found the payment info for bartertown + at viewtopic.php?f=44&t=190744

img]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/19/192a505 ... 9668f2.jpg[/img]
Rules
1. I do my best to communicate & ship in a timely matter & expect the same
2. If you or I back out of a trade expect the other to post so in the b/o forum etc, if thats not okay then I am not your man to trade with
3. An offer of "$25" for an item does not include s&h if you are not okay with actual shipping charges from the USPS on top of that then say "$25 incl s&h".. simple enough..
4. Please be polite, leave feedback
HarveyDent ( 3248 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by HarveyDent »

You seriously need to delete this thread. It's going to drive away new members.
When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King
What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight
And He’ll Win The Whole Thing ‘Fore He Enters The Ring
There’s No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might
So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand
And Remember That Depth Is The Greatest Of Heights
And If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where To Land
And If You Fall It Won’t Matter, Cuz You’ll Know That You’re Right
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories »

We're getting as many new members now as we were before.
That said... the joke's a bit old. It will be going away very soon.
: )

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

So, as you've probably figured out by now, we arean't ACTUALLY at risk of shutting down right now. Fortunately, our Advertisers are still helping us provide you a site that's free to use.
That said, every dollar you help us out with can help us improve the site. We just don't have a lot of money for improvements, once we pay the bills.

If you're interested in helping keep us going, check out this link:
https://www.bartertown.com/trading/view ... 4&t=190744

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.
phoeniix ( 42 )
Trade Novice

Post by phoeniix »

After a period of absence and seeing this heading really made my heart jump but seeing the contents made me just wanna swear. I'll send you my medical bills in a bit ;p
HarveyDent ( 3248 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by HarveyDent »

See? SEEEEE?!?!?
When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King
What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight
And He’ll Win The Whole Thing ‘Fore He Enters The Ring
There’s No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might
So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand
And Remember That Depth Is The Greatest Of Heights
And If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where To Land
And If You Fall It Won’t Matter, Cuz You’ll Know That You’re Right
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

phoeniix wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 am
After a period of absence and seeing this heading really made my heart jump but seeing the contents made me just wanna swear. I'll send you my medical bills in a bit ;p
We'd rather have DOLLAR bills.
LOL
HarveyDent wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:22 am
See? SEEEEE?!?!?
I agree. It's WORKING!
LOL

Eric

jason1977 ( 208 )
Expert Trader

Post by jason1977 »

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 pm
phoeniix wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 am
We'd rather have DOLLAR bills.
LOL
Eric
Sorry. Fresh out.
Strippers-Dollars.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In an act of kindness and respect, please respond to PMs one way or the other with in a timely manner.
Im sorry but I do not ship outside the US.
2013 BT Member Challange- 291 pts 153 models
bolt on cuteness: st 10, ap 1, range: unlimited; DEAL
Buddhanutz ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Post by Buddhanutz »

I have to say that was not funny. My whole gaming group just wrote off barter town as an option for unloading GW stuff. Plus why is this thread still in the announcements. This was a dumb move.
MagickalMemories ( 832 )
Lord Logorrheic!

...says the guy who's using the site for free.

The thread is here because it gets looks. It gets hits. It gets views. It puts facts on the radar that you might not realize. I mean, it got YOU to open the thread and see the reality of things. Right? Or did you just reply to the first message, and not read the thread?

Understand that we catch a LOT of hell from members for the sh!t we do for you FOR FREE. No member of the staff, not even the site owner, gets so much as a single dollar of profit for what we do here. It's all volunteer. It's all for the benefit of the gaming/trading community. We get a lot of criticism regarding things we could do (but don't), things we're told could be better better, and suggestions of options we "could offer," but don't. Well, those options take time that we have precious little of as volunteers, and cost money that isn't exactly a hot commodity. Just keeping the site open costs money... and not just a little bit.

It's easy for you to criticize us when you've done nothing to contribute to keeping the site running. You're not a BT+ member. You haven't sent any funds via PayPal "just as a thanks for doing what [we] do." You just use the site. Word of mouth is good to get us seen, and get us more members, but it doesn't help keep the doors open. The more members we have (like you and your "whole gaming group"), the more traffic we see. The more traffic we see, the more resources we need. The more resources we need, the more (say it with me) expensive it gets to keep the site running.

Now, for those reading this, don't misunderstand... we love getting new members. I love going through and approving those new memberships on a daily basis. We love seeing new faces in the crowd, as it were. But, you know, if you don't pay rent, be careful when you complain to management about the free amenities. I'm sorry the Continental Breakfast wasn't up to your standards, sir.

So, look... you don't like that this thread is here. You have that right. You want to complain about it? Well... technically, this is a private forum, so you don't really have the RIGHT, but we allow it. So, go ahead. You want to say we did something dumb. Cool. Go for it. But you need to understand that, for the most part, your complaints are falling on deaf ears. Checking your post history, I see only 4 archived messages in 3 threads. Two were asking for help, one was thanking people (including volunteer staff members) for the help they gave (these were all 7+ years old), and the fourth is right here. This tells me that, in almost 15 years, you haven't really tried to be a part of the community. You've come here to "unload GW stuff." The good news is that this thread does NOTHING to hinder that unloading. You can keep using Bartertown for free (even if it has been 6 and a half years since you received a reference for completing a trade, making me wonder just how much trading you really need to be concerned with). You're welcome.

Eric

gtfrdragon ( 24 )
Apprentice Trader

Post by gtfrdragon »

So you can’t take criticism then? This post is stupid and if I was a paying advertiser or paying user I’d want a refund. I think I see more people complaining about this post than applausing it. It’s horribly misleading and poor clickbait at best. Now feel free to attack me too.
Buddhanutz ( 46 )
BTown Regular

Post by Buddhanutz »

I have been sending people to this forum for 14 years now, that certainly has contibruted to the site. This is a gimmick, and your reply is not professional at all. The person who told us about the post, saw it in announcements and told the rest of the group. He did not think he would have to open the thread to verify it, since it is stickied and the implicit message is that it has already been verified. You can keep your click bait and your unprofessionalism.

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”