Bartertown Needs Your Help

Information for new users, random messages, and stuff that doesn't go anywhere else. NO TRADE ADS!!! This forum is for Bartertown related information/messages ONLY.

Moderator: Moderators

MagickalMemories ( 794 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Re: Bartertown Needs Your Help

Post by MagickalMemories » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Mind you, that's NOT to shoot the idea down... simply to say I'm not the guy for it. : )

Eric
Lower rating? You ship first.

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.

I think what this situation needs is some imagination.

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

pretre ( 1228 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 pm

MagickalMemories wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 pm
Mind you, that's NOT to shoot the idea down... simply to say I'm not the guy for it. : )

Eric
Now hiring: Social Media Manager :)
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

MagickalMemories ( 794 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:42 pm

pretre wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 pm
Now Accepting Unpaid Volunteer Submissions: Social Media Manager :)
Fixed that for you. : )

Eric

"...I'm a nerd, and I'm here tonight to stand up for the rights of other nerds.” – Gilbert Lowell

Want my help with a BTR or backout? All messages sent/posted should be in CHRONOLOGICAL order. Otherwise, I just won't read it.

akum ( 194 )
2017 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm

Would be neat if we could log in through facebook and have our facebook pic as our avatar. Would be easier to verify real people probably too :D

3eland ( 66 )
Token Canadian

Post by 3eland » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:13 pm

akum wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm
Would be neat if we could log in through facebook and have our facebook pic as our avatar. Would be easier to verify real people probably too :D
You'd be surprised.

Plus it limits people who don't use Facebook. I know of a couple of members already that refuse to use it, and a few people in real life too.

R
~Ryan~
I'm like superman, but without the super.

The rules for Bartertown can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=45470
Helpful guide for sending packages to Canada: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123125

akum ( 194 )
2017 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by akum » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 pm

im not saying it should be mandatory, but it would be nice, at least for me.

gamefusion ( 482 )
Expert Trader

Post by gamefusion » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:41 pm

@MagickalMemories.... No, I didn't know that. I'll check it out. Thanks!

I brought up Patreon, just because of the automatic-billing aspect of it. From a sales perspective, people will definitely be more inclined to do "$2 per month", than "$24 now" for a year's worth of support. If there's another platform for setting something like that up, then by all means. I just don't know what that would be. :)

Thinking out loud for a minute:

I guess the question as far as incentives ought to be "What do people come here for, and is it possible to offer them more/better versions of that?". Because as I see it, we come here for 2 main reasons; to find good values, and for the protection/structure of the reference system.

Posting more often might be an incentive for some people. It wouldn't be for me, so much. And there's no real way to add incentive on the reference-system end of things, that I can imagine.

Is there a way (and I'm just spitballing here) to incorporate a thumbnail or two into the trade ad subject line? So that we see it when we go into the forum, before clicking on the actual ad itself? That might be something interesting to + members. Being able to see a preview of what the person has to offer before going to their ad might be a way to generate more interest. Bartertown isn't particularly phone-friendly, when compared with some other forums out there.

A small thumbnail that would expand to a full-sized image when you mouse over it, that might be cool. I might pay for the option to have something like that in my ad subject lines. Maybe allow three of them per ad? Arranged left to right below the subject line text?

Maybe there could be an option within the ad, when you're creating it, to select up to three of your pictures as your "Bartertown + Preview Images".... something like that.

-Ulf
US Trades Only, please! International shipping is just getting too expensive.
The object of a game is to win. The point of a game is to have fun.
My trading rules:
1. Lower rating ships first, unless we agree otherwise.
2. Delivery confirmation is required on all US trades.
3. I will not mark an international package as a "gift". It's a felony, so please don't ask.

References owed to me by: noexit1982, paintballparkhurst, BrPrometheus, porkfriedricy

gamefusion ( 482 )
Expert Trader

Post by gamefusion » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:52 pm

How about negotiating referral discount for advertisers, that's linked to a Bartertown + account? A set discount from site advertisers for + Members?

I used to advertise here when I was running a painting & terrain studio, and I would have been happy to give a 5% or 10% discount on painting services in that context, if it helped drive customers to my business.

I realize that probably wouldn't be feasible for the retailers, but the commission painters & builders might go for it. Those services can run up there in price, and a $25 yearly Bartertown + membership that would net you $80 or $90 off a big army-painting commission purchase would be pretty damn attractive to some folks. And if it brings in new business, I'm sure most commission places would be down.
US Trades Only, please! International shipping is just getting too expensive.
The object of a game is to win. The point of a game is to have fun.
My trading rules:
1. Lower rating ships first, unless we agree otherwise.
2. Delivery confirmation is required on all US trades.
3. I will not mark an international package as a "gift". It's a felony, so please don't ask.

References owed to me by: noexit1982, paintballparkhurst, BrPrometheus, porkfriedricy

pretre ( 1228 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:28 pm

I could totally see bartertown plus getting you 5% extra off. That's a good idea.
People who owe me feedback: Aelorien Darkthorn, Arthas367x2, Bigheaddan, ccaine1, clianez2033, Close Seer, echarlie x2, gamma098, greywolf90, hot_boy_ronald, Inigo Montoya, jamshaman, jkilla, keyoftwilight, lafkak, litsnsirn, monroe126 x2, Mournafein, noexit1982, Palados, Pappasa, prkeller, proofyeq, readingrambo, rwphillipsstl, Skuller, steellegioncpt, TheDean, Voodoopainter, xsoulgrinderx x2, weebph, fuzzystrawberry, godswildcard, rawfist, snakezit, thelaric, dagna, callidusx3, ccaine1

pretre ( 1228 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:53 am

Okay, so crazy idea, reverse the prohibition on non/BT trades being entered for feedback. Add a new field for source or site where trade was performed and make real name a required field.

Make yourself the goto source for feedback on trades on all the other boards. All those FB groups will have to turn to you if you make yourselves the best way to know if your trade partner is on the up and up. Use that increased traffic to drive more or different ad revenue.

MagickalMemories ( 794 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 am

The only thing that really worries me about that is a group of guys getting together to fluff up their ref score, so that they can run scams based on them. You know?
We have certain controls and tools we can use for people on the site. People coming from off site, though... those would be more difficult.

It *IS* an interesting idea, though.

Eric

Forsaken Poptart ( 548 )
Millenium Trader

Post by Forsaken Poptart » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:43 pm

You know what would bring me back to the BT+ fold? Enhanced posting functionality (if it's possible). I currently have to keep track of when I can post again, then copy and paste the subject and body text 3 or 4 times to get maximum exposure in the different sub-forums I am allowed to post in. If I could have that automatically repost after 4 days (with the BT+ membership), or even just have a generic "post a new topic" page with checkboxes for each category I want to post in, and do it all in one shot. It's not a dealbreaker, obviously, but it's kind of clunky and could be better.

Also I really like giving Plarz more work :p
Do I owe you a trade ref? Remind me- sometimes I forget!
Awaiting trade refs from: tristym, bennythejew, yazaran

If you don't have your Location listed, take a second and update it!

-I respond within 48 hours unless utterly incapable. Please do the same. Any offer I make stands for that long as well.
-Lower rating? You ship/pay first. Same goes for me.

'How Much for...?' messages will no longer be replied to at all. I've been nice about it, now I'm done.

kturock ( 566 )
2014 Painting Challenge Champion!

Post by kturock » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:58 pm

Sort of like a draft page.. Ebay has that, I believe.
Heh, I was called a Grognard. ;-)
MY ALWAYS TRADE LIST: Scar Weaver, wmeredith, bloodstrike, tionas, wetstone, Frank Austin, akum, SW-DABOSS, Galador, nahatley, Joeb, Squeakula, mongse, con-fusion, basaint, jugglingfool, IsaiahTheBarbarian, Purple40k, Standard of War, BA-Best .

USPS Postal Inspectors: 1-877-876-2455
USPS complaint center delivery problem, lost mail, track & confirm, etc. 1-800-275-8777

MagickalMemories ( 794 )
Lord Logorrheic!

Post by MagickalMemories » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:57 am

Not sure if it's possible. Technomage has to chime in there... but I like the idea of checking boxes for cross posting.
Not sure how I feel about auto-reposting. I have mixed emotions. Big surprise there. LOL

Let's see if the Big Mek has anything to say about it all.

Eric

pretre ( 1228 )
Bartertown Advertiser

Post by pretre » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 pm

Auto or Cross post would be awesome!

If I could do a 'cross post to the following forums' it would save me a lot of time (and waiting for the 'please wait before posting again' thing to go away).

Return to “Bartertown Information and Misc Messages”